- About us
- Media & News
- Get Involved
The Laureus / SJA Writers & Broadcasters Prize
The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation is teaming up with the Sports Journalists Association of Great Britain to launch an exciting new competition for UK sports writers and broadcasters.
Journalists are being invited to write or broadcast a story about an example of sport helping to resolve conflict in the UK or around the world. Entries need to have been carried by a print or online publication or broadcast on TV or radio after 9th September, 2013.
Terms and Conditions.
1. The prize:
One journalist will win a trip to the 2014 Laureus World Sports Awards , where he or she will be able to cover this unique event and meet the stars of sport, past and present, who will be attending. The prize package includes the following:
a. Access to the Laureus World Sports Awards 2014, which includes access to the Red Carpet and Awards Ceremony;
b. One return economy class ticket;
c. Accommodation in one of the official hotels;
d. Transfers to and from the airport ; and
e. Food and beverages at official engagements.
All other costs incurred will be directly assumed by the winning journalist.
2. The competition opens at 12:01am (GMT) on 9 September 2013 and closes at mid-day (GMT) on 31 January 2014.
3. The winning Entry will be selected on 10 February 2014.
4. The competition is open to journalists and media professionals resident in the United Kingdom (UK) but excludes all employees of Laureus and agents (or families of such employees or agents) or anyone else connected with the administration of the competition. All entrants and the winner of the prize package must be aged 18 or over.
5. To enter the competition: the entrant must have written or broadcasted a story about an example of sport helping to resolve conflict in the UK or around the world (the “Entry”). Laureus promotes the use of sport as a means to change society. To expand media coverage of this, Laureus would like to find a way to encourage sports journalists to look at how sport is helping to resolve conflict around the world, in the sense of creative peace-building and bringing communities together.
6. Once you have your Entry ready, you can submit your written or recorded broadcast Entry by email to SJAWritersPrize@Laureus.net (attachments limited to 20mb) and provide Laureus with your name, surname, D.O.B, e-mail and contact telephone number.
7. Entries must have been published in a print or online publication or broadcast on TV or radio after 9th September 2013.
8. Entries must be the original work of the journalist. They may not be copied in whole or in part from any third party work.
9. The journalist, author of the Entry must be fully authorised to re-use and submit the Entry to this competition. The winning Entry may be reused / re-published / re-broadcast in whole or in part by Laureus and the journalist must have the right to authorise Laureus to do so. Furthermore, the winner will attend the Laureus World Sports Awards 2014 in person to present their winning Entry (without payment). The winning journalist agrees and understands that any use of or communication by Laureus of audio-visual material of the presentation, the Entry itself, or publicity or promotional material produced by Laureus containing all or part of the Entry is fully authorised by him/her. The winning journalist will confirm that Laureus is authorised to use the Entry and journalist will hold Laureus harmless from any and all claims related to its use by Laureus for infringement from any third party. It is understood that such use of the winning Entry will not be remunerated although every effort will be made to ensure that the winning journalist is credited for the work when re-used by Laureus.
10. Failure to observe these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate disqualification.
11. The winner will be selected by a panel of judges composed of Laureus Chairman Edwin Moses and David Walker, Chairman of the Sports Journalists Association of Great Britain.
12. The panel’s decision and selection of the winning journalist is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. The winner will be notified by 15 February 2014 by phone and confirmation by email which will also contain details about the prize including further details about the full prize package.
14. The winner will be required to confirm their availability to attend the Awards Ceremony. If no confirmation is received from the selected winner in the week following notification, the Laureus panel will select another winner and the original winner’s right to the prize package will be forfeited.
15. The winner will be required to wear black-tie to the Laureus World Sports Awards Ceremony 2014.
16. The prize is non-transferable.
17. Only one entry per person allowed.
18. Incomplete, corrupt entries or entries that contravene these Terms and Conditions will not be accepted.
19. No responsibility is accepted for entries lost, corrupted or delayed as a result of any network, computer, hardware or software failure of any kind. Proof of sending will be treated as proof of receipt.
20. In the event that the Laureus World Sports Awards are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, no substitute or alternative prizes will be given. Cash alternatives will not be given under any circumstances.
21. Laureus reserves the right to change the terms and conditions from time to time, where it considers it both reasonable and necessary to do so for security, regulatory or other legal or commercial reasons. Reasonable notice will be given where possible. In the event of any dispute, Laureus’s decision with be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
22. Laureus may store entry details of each entrant in connection with this competition solely for the purpose of competition administration, unless entrants have authorised additional use and notably the winner as set out in these Terms and Conditions.
23. The winner may be required to participate in publicity arising from this competition and attending the Laureus World Sports Awards. By attending the Laureus World Sports Awards, the winner expressly consents to the recording, filming and photographing of his/her image/voice by Laureus and any use, reproduction, communication and/or distribution of the same in all media, including various web sites, including social media, available on the Internet and other digital devices.
24. By participating in this competition, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
26. These terms and conditions can be found at http://www.laureus.com/SJAWritersPrize/
27. The competition is operated by Laureus World Sports Awards Limited. In these terms and conditions ‘Laureus’ means Laureus World Sports Awards Limited, 15 Hill Street, London, W1J 5QT. These terms and conditions are governed by the Laws of England and Wales and are subject to the jurisdiction of the English Courts.
International Senior Media & PR Manager
Tel: +44 (0)20 7514 2841
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo Archive: www.laureusarchive.com
Follow us on Twitter @LaureusSport
Tel: +44 (0) 7710 428 562